vlcsnap-2017-10-16-22h52m03s183 (5) logo
download Capture images

Supported By:

The large bludger trevally had me puffing as it toughed the fight out deep, using the current and its body size to its advantage, testing both me and my light gear. Carlo reached out and tailed the fish to bring it on board and I let out a sigh of relief from exhaustion. The hooks were quickly removed and the fish was speared back into the water still full of energy. With that, we headed out for some relaxing bottom bouncing to allow us to recuperate from our impressive short jigging session. Moving into some slightly deeper water, we sent down some baits on paternoster rigs looking for reds. I was quickly rewarded with a pan size nannygai and Peter was soon hooked up to a better fish, although the fish was soon lost as the hook pulled. This shut down the fish, so another move was in order.

           A lesson in bluewater jigging  page 3

                 By Josh Behrend    NQ Fish & Boat Magazine Townsville

fish6 fish1 fish4

The mackerel were now pushing up towards the surface and the occasional fish broke the surface as it sped up through the bait ball. For a change of tactics I cast the slug out from the bow of the boat, allowed it to sink for around 30 seconds, before ripping it in as fast as I could wind. Just metres out from the boat, in plain sight, a rampaging Spanish grabbed the lure and headed off in the opposing direction. Meanwhile, once again, Peter was hooked up at the back of the boat. My fish headed towards the stern of the boat as Peter’s fish was edging up towards the bow and there were a couple of iffy moment where our braided lines almost made contact. Some fancy footwork between Peter and I ensured our lines remained tangle free, allowing Peter to safely bring his bludger trevally into the boat soon to be followed by my 90cm Spanish. I decided to have one more final drop which resulted in my toughest battle for the morning.

My attention soon turned to Peter who managed to get his line down and also hooked up to a mackerel. Soon the pair of us were pacing up and down the side of the boat as we tried to avoid line twist. Peter’s 4kg fish was the first to be gaffed while my fish was slowly getting closer to the boat. I led the fish towards Carlo, who was ready with gaff in hand, and on the second attempt the respectable 10kg Spanish mackerel was brought on board ready for some happy snaps.